Ultherapy Can Act as a Non-Surgical Facelift
When it comes to plastic surgery, a facelift can offer very impressive results. But if you are skeptical about the option because there is surgery involved, you may be interested in learning about a non-surgical facelift option known as Ultherapy.
Ultherapy: An Ultrasound Facelift
Ultherapy is a non-invasive FDA-approved method of performing a facelift. It’s used to tighten sagging skin on the chin, lower face, and neck. It can also be used to improve fine wrinkles on the chest. This technique erases aging signs and gives the face a natural lift, making you look years younger.
How Does It Work?
As the name indicates, Ultherapy is a therapy that involves the use of ultrasound energy. The decline in collagen protein production that comes with the aging process is what makes skin lose its natural elasticity and tightness. With the application of ultrasound energy to the skin tissues, collagen production is boosted. This eventually results in neocollagenesis, the process of collagen synthesis in the skin layers.
The procedure involves ultrasound imaging. This helps the practitioner monitor the exact treatment locations on the inner layers of tissue. The imaging makes it possible to adjust and deliver the most accurate treatment to achieve the best results.
After the application of ultrasound gel to the target areas, a probe is used to deliver ultrasound waves to the desired area that has to be corrected. The application of the ultrasound waves might cause mild temporary discomfort, mainly due to the increase in the temperature. A mild local anesthetic solves the problem.
The use of ultrasound waves results in deep penetration into the skin layers. Unlike other treatments, this method does not affect any of the outer layers – it is a more targeted approach.
Benefits of Ultherapy
- Several areas on the face, neck, and chest can be corrected with this versatile treatment method. Because of this, patients do not have to get different procedures for each of the areas.
- This is a non-surgical procedure. Not only are there no incisions, there are also no injections. No needles, no scalpels, yet you can be assured that there will be excellent results that look natural as well. Being non-invasive, this procedure doesn’t leave any scars.
- The recovery time required is very short, especially in comparison to surgery. Normal activities can be resumed soon after the process is complete. No hospitalization or special post-procedure care is needed.
- The results appear immediately in some patients. In most people, within the next few days, evident results are noticed as new collagen is produced in the tissues.
- The procedure is a short one. In most cases where the neck and the face are both being treated, the procedure can be done within 60 to 90 minutes. For the chest corrections, an average of half an hour would suffice.
- There are no harsh chemicals involved, so there is no need to worry about side effects on the skin.
Risks of Ultherapy
It has certainly been reported and proven that Ulthera, aka Ultherapy, can cause some subcutaneous fat loss. This is, in Dr. Lay’s opinion, an almost expected outcome, and he therefore does not offer the therapy in the mid face, upper face, or brow area. Some additional unexpected outcomes or side effects reported have included skin bruising and hyperpigmentation, though these are very rare.
Your Ultherapy Session
Before you can come in for an Ultherapy session, you’ll need a consultation to make sure it’s right for you. Arrange a consultation with Dr. Chase Lay, an experienced facial plastic surgeon, by contacting our office. Ultherapy sessions are performed by our certified and experienced registered nurse.