Dr. Chase Lay Curriculum Vitae
Patrick Chase Lay, M.D.
2550 Samaritan Dr Suite F
San Jose, CA 95124
ph. 408-358-3888 fax. 408-358-3150
Medical Licensing, NPI & Other ID (Current & Past)
- Patrick Chase Lay, MD
Medical Board of California: # A112118. Issued 04/28/2010. Expires 12/31/2017
- American Board of Otolaryngology Certificate #20459 Issued June 1, 2012 – Valid through June 30, 2022
- American Board of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery Issued June 22, 2013 – Valid through December 31, 2023
- 2001 – B.S. Neuroscience: University of Texas at Dallas (UT Dallas)
- 2005 – M.D.: University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston (UTMB Galveston)
Residency & Fellowship
- SIU-SOM Dept of General Surgery Internship 2005-2006
- SIU-SOM Division of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery 2006-2010
- Mittelman Plastic Surgery: Facial Plastics Fellow 2010 -2011
- Facial & Eyelid Reconstruction: Asian eyelid surgery, Asian Rhinoplasty, ptosis, cosmetic eyelid surgery, eyelid reconstruction, ear surgery (otoplasty), skull base fractures, jaw fracture, orbital blowout fractures, orbital floor repair, orbital tumor excision, facial laceration, scar revision, fat transfer, and facial rejuvenation.
- Skull Base: Skull base fracture reconstruction, CSF leak repair (early trauma or chronic), nasal tumor excision
- Ear, Nose, Throat: full spectrum of general ENT including sinus, skull base, nasal surgery, nasal fractures, pediatric surgery of the face including trauma, cancer reconstruction, laryngeal and tracheal reconstruction after cancer or trauma.
- 2005 to present – American Academy of Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery
- 2008 to present – American Academy of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
- ACLS, renewed 2016
- CPR, renewed 2016
- 2001 – Dean’s Award for Excellence in Neuroscience – UT Dallas
- 2001 to 2005 – Carl J. Herzog Memorial Scholarship – UTMB Galveston
- 2007 – Residents as Teachers Award – SIU SOM Department of Surgery
- 2008 – Residents as Teachers Award – SIU SOM Department of Surgery
- 2009 – Residents as Teachers Award – SIU SOM Department of Surgery
- 2010 – Residents as Teachers Award – SIU SOM Department of Surgery
Training Courses Completed (CME)
Cosmetic – Aesthetic
- 2006 – AO Advanced Facial Plastics and Reconstruction. Chicago, Illinois (12 hours CME)
- 2007 – AO Advanced Facial Plastics and Trauma. Tahoe, Nevada (12 hours CME)
- 2009 – Kridel’s Rodeo Rhinoplasty. Houston, TX (10 hours CME)
- 2010 – Multi-specialty Facial Cosmetic Surgery. Las Vegas, NV (20 hours CME)
- 2011 – Special Techniques in Rhinoplasty. San Francisco, CA (20 hours)
- 2007 – Cadaveric Sinus and Skull Base Course. Springfield, IL
- 2008 – Techniques in Endoscopic Sinus Surgery. Saint Louis University (8 hours CME)
- 2010 – UC San Francisco Endoscopic Cadaveric Skullbase Course. UC San Francisco (30 hours CME)
Reconstruction – Trauma
- 2006 – AO Fundamentals of Mandibular and Midface Fixation. Chicago, Illinois
- 2006, ’07 – Cadaveric Facial Soft Tissue Course: Anatomy & Procedure Work-shop. Springfield, IL
- 2006, ’07, ’08 – Cadaveric Mandible & Midface Fracture Course: Anatomy & Surgical Approaches. Springfield, IL
- 2007 – AO Advanced Facial Plastics and Trauma. Tahoe, Nevada
- 2006, ’07 – Cadaveric Oculoplastics: Anatomy & Procedure work-shop. Springfield, IL
Publications & Accepted Manuscripts
- Allergen vial mixing and immunotherapy: Risks of infection and vial contamination. P Chase Lay, Richard Bass, and Sandra Lin. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery (2007) 137, 243 – 245.
- Risks of Allergy Vial Contamination: Comparison of Mixing In-Office versus Under Ventilation Hood. P Chase Lay, Richard Bass, and Sandra Lin. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery (2008) 139, 364 – 366.
- Safety of Multi-dose Vials in Allergy Immunotherapy. Sandra Lin, P Chase Lay, and Richard Bass. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery (2008) 139, 195-197
- Recommendations for Safe Allergen Vial Preparation in the Office Setting. P Chase Lay. Current Opinion in Otolaryngology and Head & Neck Surgery. 2009 Jun; 17(3):223-5.
- Balloon-assisted Removal of Obstructing Bronchial Granuloma. American Broncho-Esophagological Association (ABEA) meeting, COSM. Orlando, FL; May, 2007.
- Balloon-assisted Removal of Obstructing Bronchial Granuloma: Two year follow-up and review of techniques. AAO-HNSF Annual Meeting, San Diego; October, 2009.
- Upper-lid Transconjunctival En-bloc Excision of Orbital Rhabdomyosarcoma. AAO-HNSF Annual Meeting, San Diego; October, 2009.
- Neurosarcoidosis Mimicking Meningitis after Sinus Surgery. AAO-HNSF Annual Meeting, San Diego; October, 2009.
- Facial Keratoacanthoma: Treatment Cost Analysis and Outcomes. AAO-HNSF Annual Meeting, San Diego; October, 2009.
- 1999 to ’01 – D-cycloserine concentrations and Place cell activity in CA1 region of the hippocampus in young and aged rats during and after spatial maze learning. UT Dallas.
- 2005 – Isotonic versus hypertonic saline effects on mucocilliary clearance time using saccharine. UTMB Galveston.
Invited National & International Lectures Given
- Risk of Infection from Allergen Vials Prepared in the Office. Presenter and Panelist AAOA National Meeting September, 2006.
- Intracranial Complications of Sinusitis in Pediatric Patients. Hanoi, Vietnam: Bach Mai Hospital September, 2007.
- Traumatic Optic Neuropathy and Orbital Apex Syndrome. Hanoi, Vietnam: “E” Hospital. September, 2007
- Office-based Allergy Practice in Otolaryngology: Analysis of Safety. SIU Department of Surgery Research Meeting Springfield, IL April 2008
- Safety of Multi-dose Vials in Allergy Immunotherapy. Horst Konrad Resident Research Day SIU Division of Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery, Springfield, IL May 2008.
- Oculoplastics in Otolaryngology. Newton D. Fischer Society Meeting, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill June 2008.
- Risks of Allergy Vial Contamination: Comparison of Mixing In-Office versus Under Ventilation Hood. AAOA National Meeting Chicago, IL September 2008.
- Oculoplastics: Approaches to Orbital Vault & Levator Advancement. Newton D. Fischer Society Meeting, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC June 2009
- Facial Fractures: Treatment Options and Perioperative Issues. St. John’s Hospital, Springfield, IL June 2009
- The Treatment of Pediatric Hemangiomas of the Head & Neck. Carol Jo Vecchie Women & Children’s Center. St. John’s Hospital, Dept. of Pediatrics, Springfield, IL December 2009
- Orbital Reconstruction in Graves’ Disease: Greater than Graves meeting. UC San Francisco. July 2012
- Thyroidectomy in Graves’ Disease: When to proceed to surgery. UC San Francisco. July 2012.
- Asian eyelid surgery. When to create an increase in wind to maintain one. Santa Clara County Optometric Society Meeting. January 2013
- Orbital Decompression: When and why. Santa Clara County Optometric Society Meeting. January 2013
- Lower eyelid reconstruction. Santa Clara County optometric society meeting. March 2013
Resident Grand Rounds & CME Lectures Given
- October, 2006 – Periorbital Diseases in Otolaryngology: Traumatic Optic Neuropathy, Periorbital Infection, & Orbital Apex Syndrome
- January, 2007 – Eyelid & Periorbital Reconstruction
- August, 2007 – Tumors of The Temporal Bone
- July, 2008 – Management of Pediatric Mandible Fractures
- November, 2008 – Management of Glottic Stenosis in Adults
- August, 2009 – Treatment Trends in Head & Neck Hemangiomas
Community &International Outreach
- 2006 – Hanoi, Vietnam: Resource Exchange International. Team Leader: Brent Senior, M.D.
- 2007 – Hanoi, Vietnam: Resource Exchange International. Team Leaders: Brent Senior, M.D. & David Parsons, M.D.
- Asian American Donor Program. Board Member. aadp.org